Sunday, August 5, 2007

One week down

We passed the one week mark and we're all still functional. We've had mostly good days. Grandma has had a few falls, but nothing terrible. She drives me a little crazy sometimes, but I'm trying to work through it. I find it frustrating that she is frequently wrong about things and can't be convinced otherwise. Once she has an idea in her head, it's stuck. I'm really trying hard to just let these things go, if they aren't important. It's more challenging than I would have expected. I always knew I like to be right, but I didn't realize how much. :)
The nurse came for the first time on Friday. It was nice to be able to come and go as I wanted. No lugging the walker or worrying about Grandma falling. Grandma was confused as to why the nurse was here. I've told her many times, but that doesn't always help. The nurse was ok. I wasn't thrilled, but I think she will be fine for our needs. She talked Grandma's ear off, which was amusing.
My greatest annoyance today was her need to chat. Although I love to talk, even I need a break. She prattled on endlessly about whatever came to her head. This would be a little less annoying if it all made sense, but it doesn't. Interestingly, this was the same thing that made me crazy when dealing with my mom when she had a brain tumor. I don't know what it is about dementia that makes people so dang talkative. This is definitely something that I'm going to have to work on either dealing with, or tuning out.
The last two days, Grandma has had accidents. This is nasty. I'm not sure I'll ever adjust to that job. I try really hard not to make a big deal out if, because I know she already feels bad, but eeeewwww!!! Clorox wipes are my new favorite thing!! How sad!
The one tip I have this week is Vitamin Water!! Grandma doesn't drink enough and she will not drink plain water. However, she will drink any flavor of VW. I love it too, so we're buying it by the case now.(I don't give her anything with guarana) Even if she drinks a bottle a day, it's only $25 a month. Way less than UTI meds and less gross to deal with.
I learned how to put hearing aids in this week. It's very easy, which makes it a little nuts that she refused to wear them. Oh well. I put them in as soon as she's done in the shower. A little less yelling is a good thing.

No comments: