Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Today has been quite an eventful day with Grandma. To start, she fell in the bathroom today and pulled down the shower rod and curtains. She managed to damage the wall that is less than a week old. Then to top that off, she decided to come upstairs without using the stair lift. She says it wouldn't work, but she didn't have it turned the right way. SO, she CRAWLED up the stairs and proceeded to trip at the top while trying to get up. Thank God she didn't fall back down the stairs!! She doesn't appear to be any worse for the tumbles.
I gave her a good firm talking to. The really frustrating thing is that we have a buzzer that she can press to call me for assistance. Or she could have called up stairs. She chose not to do any of those things. I guess that's dementia. If it made sense, it wouldn't be so annoying.
She was mad at me today because I didn't take her to the bank. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but Grandma wants things done on her time schedule. Even if she has the wrong day, she still wants it done then!!
I had anticipated this being an adjustment, but I wasn't prepared for this. I feel completely incapable of dealing with her. My goal in moving her here was to provide a safe, stable environment surrounded by people that love her. I wanted to have her more engaged in what is going on, not just the game show network. I'm really hoping that having the nurse coming on Friday will help. Not just for the break, but also to have a professional to help me learn how to do this.
I hope to find some good resources online, and then I'll share them here. I'd love comments from others that have gone through, or are going through this situation.

No comments: