Sunday, December 9, 2007

No news is good news, sort of

There really hasn't been much going on. As I mentioned in my last post, I had an aide come so I could sleep. It was wonderful, but short lived. I ended up letting the aide go because her snoring kept me and Grandma awake. Yep, she was sleeping on the job. So much so, that once Grandma had to buzz for me to take her to the bathroom because the woman couldn't hear her over her own snoring. Anyway, Grandma is on Enablex now and doing much better. We usually only get up once or twice a night.
In the last month, she has started to have tremors in her left arm. Besides being frustrating for her, it also reminds her of the progressive nature of this disease. It used to only be her leg, occasionally.
Lately, she'd been asking me when she was going to get better. I don't think that she wanted to grasp that she wasn't. I tried to gently remind her that the doctors said she probably wouldn't. Still, when we went back the the Center for Senior Health this week she asked the doctor. He was very careful with the words he chose, but told her the truth. Have I mentioned that I love this place. Everyone that we encounter is so caring and sensitive. It's like getting a big hug. She handled the news well, but was obviously upset about it. She hates being a burden and knows that there is nothing she can do to stop it.
Her collarbone healed up wonderfully. She had no loss of motion. It's quite amazing considering the severity of the break and her age. She "graduated" from physical and occupational therapy. They played it off as a good thing, but really there is nothing else they can do for her. Her balance continues to get worse and she's not progressing in therapy. There has been no improvement in a month. Unfortunately, Medicare will not pay to keep her at the same level. So, now we have to work harder at home. One more thing to fit into a very busy day.
It's never ending really.
I have to plan her meals more carefully now because she's losing weight. I also have to fit in more fiber because she's constantly constipated. Don't forget the additional fluids to try and ward off UTIs. Which means more frequent trips to the bathroom. Caring for Grandma really is a full time job. Unfortunately, I have other responsibilities too. Ya know, a family, pets, church...trying to fit in a shower occasionally!!!
I have learned that time management is my greatest help. Lowering expectations helps a lot too. This is why I don't post here very often. I spend very little time on the computer these days.
Still, we are preparing for the holidays. Grandma really seems to enjoy being apart of that chaos. We've decorated the tree. The kids made a gingerbread house. Soon we'll bake cookies. We're also planning a trip to go look at the Christmas lights nearby. I think she'll really enjoy that! All in all, I know her quality of life is improved tremendously by living with us. I wish I could say the same for ours.
The other day a lady at church mentioned what a sacrifice it must be having her with us. She was the first to acknowledge that out loud to me. I realized...yes, it's a huge sacrifice!! Thanks for noticing. Everyday we give up some little pleasure for her. This coming week, I can't go to my DH company party because I have no one to stay with Grandma. The kids are missing youth group because my sister is on vacation and she usually stays with her. We have no spontaneity when she's here. It's such a chore to go anywhere with her, it's frequently not worth it. Or, we have to consider if she'll be able to manage. Outdoor markets and fairs definitely are not feasible. We've learned through trial and error what she can manage and what she can't. But it changes. Soon things that she can do today will no longer be possible.
Anyway, we're managing!! Getting through each day. Usually they are ok, sometimes really good. The bad days are really bad, but not too often.

No comments: